Legal Talk Network Covers the 2017 ABA Midyear Meeting
In the News
The biggest topic of conversation at this year’s ABA Midyear meeting was immigration. Coverage of sanctuary cities, executive orders, travel bans, and, of course, political tension guided most of the conversation. No matter your position on immigration, the country is ablaze with differing opinions about the proper course of action.
However, immigration wasn’t the only subject explored by the attendees and participants of the meeting. Legal Talk Network’s coverage began with the leader of the American Bar Association herself, President Linda Klein, being interviewed by Digital Detectives hosts Sharon Nelson and John Simek. During their time together, President Klein discussed her veterans initiative, ABA Blueprint, the SCOTUS nomination of Judge Neil Gorsuch, and Law Day 2017. Next up, we, together with our hosts Sandy Gallant-Jones of ABA Law Student Podcast and Sharon Nelson of Digital Detectives, broached the topic of student loan debt with Crystal Araujo, Jennifer Nicholls, Whitney Barkley Denney, and Michael Dumas as they talked about rising student loans, income-driven repayment plans, and how law schools are reacting to concerns from borrowers.
Legal Talk Network also engaged in other discussions stemming from civil justice, activities of the ABA Young Lawyers Division, and the decline of jury trials to best practices for corporate counsel, voting rules for the Senate, and solutions for road rage. In addition, the guests talked about the necessity for attorneys in the entertainment industry, doing business in Cuba, and ethics in public sector law. On Legal Talk Network’s last day of interviews, they concluded their coverage with a two part discussion about immigration, including the details of the Executive orders and what lawyers can do to get involved. To hear some of these topics and more, check out the list of podcasts below.
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: Updates from ABA President Linda Klein
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: Civil Justice for All
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: Lawyers: The Next Generation
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: The Decline of American Jury Trials
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: Corporate Counsel Boot Camp
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: Road Rage
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: When Voting Goes Nuclear
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: Attorneys in the Spotlight
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: Business in Cuba
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: The Ethics of Ethics
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: The Executive Order on Immigration and How Lawyers Can Help
- ABA Midyear Meeting 2017: Immigration Law with Reid Trautz